Thank you for your interest in the Exeter Northcott Theatre and the post of Duty Manager.
Closing date: Sunday 24th July 2022 at 5pm
Job title: Duty Manager
Department: Front of House
Reporting to: Theatre Manager / Deputy Theatre Manager
About the Northcott
Exeter Northcott Theatre is proud to have been part of Exeter’s cultural life for more than 50 years, drawing audiences from across the city, the surrounding area and the wider region to see the very best local, national and international performing arts in our mid- scale auditorium (460 seats) on the campus of the University of Exeter. However, we also have a long history of making things amazing happen in the city centre and supporting creative activity in community spaces and settings, reflected in our recent acquisition of the city centre Barnfield Theatre with its two smaller auditoria (280 seats & 60 seats), and the resurgence of our community engagement programme.
Diversity and Inclusion
There continues to be a significant lack of diversity across the arts, with a pressing need to provide progression routes for talented people from backgrounds that are under- represented. Exeter Northcott Theatre is committed to playing its part in addressing this by putting inclusion at the heart of our recruitment processes, finding new ways to share the power and resources we have at our disposal, and fostering a working culture that is welcoming for all our team. We actively encourage people with different backgrounds to join us and positively impact our teams and working practice. We are particularly keen to receive applications from people of African and Caribbean heritage, people of South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian Heritage, D/deaf and disabled people, LGBTQ+ people, or those experiencing barriers due to their socioeconomic background.
The purpose of this post
Our Duty Managers are responsible for managing the Front of House Team for a specific performance/event, for maintaining the highest possible standards of customer care, and for ensuring the welfare of any member of the public while on our premises. Working closely with the Duty Stage Manager/Duty Technician, who is responsible for the safe operation of on-stage/backstage,
they are jointly responsible for the smooth running of a performance/event. They will also be required to contribute to the operation of our café/bar facilities, to work as part of our ticket sales team, and to oversee management of one or more of our spaces for non- performance/event opening. They are the public face of the theatre and represent the Northcott management.
Who we’re looking for
The successful candidate will be a friendly, confident, customer-focused team-player, keen to work in a dynamic creative environment, and comfortable working flexibly across multiple sites.
Terms & Conditions
Salary: £17,940 (£11.50 per hour) Part Time
Working Hours: 30 hours per week, with potential to increase
Working Pattern: Flexible, and will include evenings and weekends
Working Location: Northcott Theatre, Barnfield Theatre & other locations as required
Holiday: 24.6 days per annum inc. statutory holidays (FTE 32 days per annum)
Start Date: Early September 2022 (flexible)
All D/deaf or disabled candidates who demonstrate that they meet the essential criteria for this role will be invited for interview.
How to apply
As part of our commitment to inclusion we’re working to widen the pool of people who hear about vacancies at the theatre and make the process of applying for a job as straightforward as possible.
For this role we’re asking all candidates to click on the Apply Now link for this vacancy on our website and submit written and/or video/audio responses to the same three questions so you can tell us about yourself and why you’re the right person for this role:
- Tell us about yourself and why you want to work at the Northcott
- Tell us how your professional experience meets the person specification
- Tell us about what support you might need if we were to offer you this role
And then upload a copy of your latest CV.
Contact us at email@example.com if you wish to submit in a different format
For an informal chat please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Sunday, July 24th 2022, 5pm
Interviews will take place Thurs, July 28th and Friday, July 29th.
NB We’ll pay travel expenses for candidates invited to interview.
NB When we invite candidates to interview, we’ll ask if they have any access needs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Representing Northcott management.
- Overseeing all Front of House activities, ensuring the welfare of members of the public whilst on the premises, and maintaining the highest possible standards of customer care.
- Directing hire/use enquiries to our Programme Manager.
- During performance and events:
• Acting as a point of contact for hirers/users in both our venues.
• Ensuring relevant spaces are prepared for use as required.
• Liaising with Box Office Team in respect of audience/participant numbers.
• Liaising with Visiting Company in respect of programme & merchandise sales.
• Liaising with Duty Technical Manager in respect of event timings.
• Supervising and recording the hours of Casual & Volunteer Front of House Assistants.
• Ensuring Front of House Assistants are maximising sales income in all areas.
- Alongside the theatre management team, controlling the finances of all Front of House sales, including, managing cash floats associated with café/bars in both our venues and ticket sales at the Barnfield Theatre, and adhering to Northcott financial policies/procedures.
- Monitoring & reporting Front of House and café/bar stock levels.
- Ensuring compliance with the terms of the theatre’s licenses.
- Ensuring the premises are maintained in a clean and tidy state and reporting any maintenance issues.
- Adhering to the theatre’s Health & Safety policy and reporting any relevant issues.
- Acting as a designated First Aider and responding to staff/customer injuries as required.
- Dealing with any emergency on the premises, including addressing the audience if necessary, overseeing the safe evacuation of customers if required, and reporting emergency actions to the Theatre Manager or other member of the Senior Management Team as soon as possible.
- Maintaining a good working knowledge of the theatre’s Spektrix ticketing system and Undertaking ticket sales duties as required.
- Maintaining a good working knowledge of the theatre’s Yesplan programme management system and updating as appropriate.
- Completing show reports in Yesplan highlighting incidents, complaints and maintenance issues.
- Processing lost property.
- Acting as a key-holder and ensuring that the venue is locked and alarmed at the end of the day or handing that responsibility over to the relevant person.
- Undertaking café/bar duties as required.
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of the theatre’s values & business objectives.
- Taking an active role in promoting the theatre’s values and meeting its business objectives.
- Taking an active role in identifying and removing barriers for anyone with access needs.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the theatre’s programme.
- Attending staff meetings/training as required.
- Adhering to all other Exeter Northcott Theatre policies & procedures.
- Maintaining confidentiality at all times.
Any other duties which may be reasonably requested by the Theatre Manager.
Please pay close attention to this when considering applying for this post, you will need to demonstrate how you meet the criteria below and are unlikely to be interviewed if you do not meet most of the essential criteria.
- Experience of leading and motivating a team to deliver excellent customer service, maximise sales, and consistently achieve set targets
- An articulate communicator, with good literacy and numeracy skills
- Ability and confidence in managing a diverse team of volunteers, salaried and casual staff, treating differing views with discretion and diplomacy
- Proactive and flexible attitude, particularly in the approach to working hours and duties
- Positive attitude with a creative approach to increasing revenue and minimising costs
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Experience of cashing up / dealing with the reconciliation of monies
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Conscientious, reliable and punctual
- Commitment to the plans for the future direction of the Exeter Northcott
- Available to work evenings and weekends
- Experience of working in a theatre or arts environment
- Personal License/First Aid qualification (training can be provided)
NB This job description may develop and evolve with the growth of Exeter Northcott Theatre and is not intended to be read as a complete account of all duties or responsibilities.Apply now Back to jobs