WELCOME! And thank you for your interest in the Exeter Northcott Theatre and the post of Marketing Officer (maternity cover).
Closing Date: 17th January 2022 at noon
Job title: Marketing Officer (maternity cover)
Department: Marketing & Development
Reporting to: Marketing Manager
About the Northcott
The Northcott Theatre has been attracting audiences in Exeter and the South West to the very best UK and international performing arts for over fifty years. Before the closure of theatres in March 2020 due to Covid-19, our programme featured a mix of home-grown productions and top quality touring drama, music, dance, comedy etc. We are now looking forward to rebuilding our offer with a combination of work we produce and present in our theatre space/s and a range of projects and participation activities with artists, communities and young people in Devon.
Diversity & Inclusion
There continues to be a significant lack of diversity across the arts, with a pressing need to provide progression routes for talented people from backgrounds that are under-represented. Exeter Northcott Theatre is committed to playing its part in addressing this by putting inclusion at the heart of our recruitment processes, finding new ways to share the power and resources we have at our disposal, and fostering a working culture that is welcoming for all our team. We actively encourage people with different backgrounds to join us and positively impact our teams and working practice. We are particularly keen to receive applications from people of African and Caribbean heritage, people of South Asian, East Asian and South East Asian Heritage, D/deaf and disabled people, LGBTQIA+ people, or those experiencing barriers due to their socioeconomic background.
The Purpose of this Post
The Marketing Officer is a key member of Exeter Northcott Theatre’s marketing team, supporting our Marketing Manager in the delivery of a busy portfolio of marketing campaigns. With a strong focus on digital marketing, you’ll work with the team on content creation, website development and social media as well as assisting with all other elements of marketing campaigns, with the opportunity to project manage certain campaigns.
Maternity cover for this post is expected to start at the beginning of March, but ideally the successful candidate would start as early as possible before that, to allow for a smooth handover.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Gathering and creating content
- Gathering content from visiting companies and partners
- Creating original filmed and digital content, working closely with the Press & Marketing Officer
- Designing print and advertising materials (working in InDesign)
- Designing direct email (working in DotDigital) and developing data-based direct email campaigns
- Designing digital content, including video
- Understanding the theatre’s visual identity and translating the Northcott brand to all designs
Updating online platforms
- Writing copy and updating the theatre’s website (working in WordPress)
- Updating and monitoring the theatre’s social media channels
- Effective creation and targeting of social media ads
Distributing and tracking campaigns
- Buying print, online and social advertising
- Generating targeted mailing/emailing lists (working in Spektrix)
- Organising the distribution of printed materials and monitoring marketing presence in the building Tracking, evaluating and reporting on campaigns
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the theatre’s programme
- Maintaining a working knowledge of relevant GDPR legislation
- Taking an active role in identifying and removing access barriers for anyone with access needs
- Attending staff meetings/training as required
- Representing the theatre at external meetings as required
- Adhering to Exeter Northcott Theatre policies & procedures
- Any other duties which may be reasonably requested by Marketing Manager
NB This job description represents a summary of the essential characteristics of this role, including its principal accountabilities, and is not intended to be read as a complete account of all duties or responsibilities involved, which may develop over time as the business needs of Exeter Northcott Theatre change.
Please demonstrate how you meet these Essential & Desirable criteria when applying for this role.
- Minimum 18 months experience within a marketing role
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organisational & administrative skills
- Strong copywriting & proof-reading skills
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- A working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Experience in graphic design
- Experience of generating effective digital content and social media marketing
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Enthusiasm for the performing arts
- Demonstrable knowledge of the theatre industry and the cultural landscape in Devon
- Experience of using Spektrix
- Experience of using Creative Cloud in a professional setting, including Photoshop, InDesign and Premiere
- Experience of using WordPress
- Proven ability to independently manage projects and budgets
- Self-motivated, pro-active
Outline Terms and Conditions
£20,000 – 23,000 per annum depending on experience
NB A pay review is currently underway, with increased rates of pay due to be introduced in Feb 2022.
39 per week
32 days per annum inc. statutory holidays
2 months (2 weeks during probation)
Smart Pension Ltd – employer contributions in line with statutory auto enrolment, currently 3%
An allocation of complimentary tickets per season
Discounts at the theatre bar/café
About the recruitment process
As part of our commitment to inclusion we’re working to widen the pool of people who hear about vacancies at the theatre and make the process of applying for a job as straightforward as possible.
For this role we’re asking all candidates to click on the Apply Now link for this vacancy on our website and submit written and/or video/audio responses to the same three questions so you can tell us about yourself and why you’re the right person for this role:
- Tell us about yourself and why you want to work at the Northcott
- Tell us how your professional experience meets the person specification
- Tell us about what support you might need if we were to offer you this role
And then upload a copy of your latest CV.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to submit in a different format.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Laura Van Wymersch, Marketing Manager, at L.Van-Wymersch@exeter.ac.uk.
All D/deaf or disabled candidates who demonstrate that they meet the essential criteria for this role will be invited for interview.
NB We’ll pay travel expenses for any candidate invited to interview.
NB When we invite candidates to interview we’ll ask if they have any access requirements.Apply now Back to jobs