Job Title: Technician (full-time)
Department: Production & Technical
Reporting to: Production Manager
Responsible for: n/a
The Purpose of this Post
The Technician is a key member of the Exeter Northcott Theatre’s Production & Technical team, assisting with the smooth day-to-day running of the theatre’s performance space and associated spaces/activities (including at alternative venues), with a particular focus on (a) maintaining a safe working environment for staff, visiting companies, freelancers, visitors and the public, (b) achieving the highest possible artistic/technical standards, and (c) maintaining stage and electrical equipment.
This is a junior role within the team and, although some experience is required, we will provide training.
Whilst likely to have specific areas of interest, we expect our Technicians to work across all areas within the Production & Technical Department, and across all venues that the Northcott operates in.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting technical representatives of visiting companies as required, to ensure the effective delivery of the technical requirements of visiting shows. Including get-ins, get-outs and carrying out Duty Stage, Duty LX, Operator, Flys or other roles as required to facilitate the smooth running of performances.
- Supporting the Production and Technical Managers in the delivery of the production and technical elements of in-house shows as required.
- Assisting with the effective delivery of the technical requirements of other events.
- Assisting in the provision of a safe working environment and safe working practices for staff, visiting companies, freelancers, visitors and the public, both in the theatre’s performance space and when involved in associated activities, following risk assessments at all times and providing first aider cover when required.
- Contributing to risk assessments as requested and drawing any Health & Safety concerns to the attention of the Technical Managers and/or Production Manager.
- Assisting with maintenance and safety checks of theatre and technical equipment.
- Assisting with maintaining a clean/tidy working environment.
- Assisting with managing Technical resources in a cost effective manner
- Developing a good working knowledge of current technical theatre practices and technologies
Responsibilities of All Staff Members
- Taking an active role in identifying and removing access barriers for anyone with access needs
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the theatre’s programme
- Attending staff meetings/training as required
- Adhering to Exeter Northcott theatre policies & procedures
- Maintaining confidentiality at all times
- Taking an active part in co-operating with and supporting other staff and departments in the achievement of the company’s aims.
- To be aware of, and comply with, rules and legislation pertaining to Health & Safety at Work.
- To be an advocate of the company.
- To contribute ideas and suggestions for the increased success and effectiveness of the Exeter Northcott.
- Any other duties which may reasonably requested by the Theatre Manager
Please demonstrate how you meet these criteria when applying for this role:
- Hard working and reliable
- Ability to work as part of a flexible team, responding to challenges, contributing ideas and supporting other team members
- Adaptable and receptive to new ideas and initiatives
- Ability to stay calm and work under pressure
- Friendly and professional
- Good housekeeping skills
Professional Competencies (Essential)
- Technical experience within a producing theatre/company or technical theatre training
- Awareness of Health & Safety practices in theatre
- Some knowledge of rigging and stage flying techniques and/or lighting and sound equipment
- Some experience of flying and/or setting up and operating lighting, sound and AV equipment
- Experience of fit-ups, get-outs and technical rehearsals
Professional Competencies (Desirable)
- Good IT, administrative and organisational skills
- Practical skills in maintaining and repairing stage & technical equipment
- Ability to interpret/implement technical drawings
- First Aider Qualification
Terms & Conditions
Salary: £ 19,849 per annum (£9.09 per hour)
Hours of Work: Full Time – contractual working hours are 42 per week, but will vary depending on the theatre’s programme.
TOIL and overtime for hours worked over this and on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Regular evening and weekend work required.
Annual Leave: 24 working days (plus statutory holidays) per annum. Increasing by 1 working day per completed year of service for the first. 2 years of service, and then by 2 working days per completed year of service for the next 2 years, up to a maximum of 30 working days.
Probationary Period: 6 months
Notice Period: 5 weeks (2 weeks during probationary period)
Pension: Smart Pension Ltd – employer contributes in line with statutory auto-enrolment, currently 3%.
Benefits: An allocation of complimentary tickets per season and discounts at the theatre bar/restaurant.
Application forms to be submitted by 9am on Thursday 22 July.
Interviews will be held at the Northcott Theatre on Wednesday 28 July.
Interview questions will be provided in advance.